mobile-navigation Skip to content


Click to Call
Trahan Insurance Agency, LLC

819 Voluntown Rd
Griswold, CT 06351

Get Directions
Trahan Insurance Agency, LLC Blog

What to Do When the Liability Coverage for Your Car Is Not Enough

One of the most common questions we get at Trahan Insurance Agency LLC, serving Griswold, CT, and surrounding communities, is, "How much liability coverage on my car is enough?"

If you insure your car in Connecticut, your policy will provide at least the state minimums for liability:

  • Your policy will cover bodily injury and lost wages for each person at least $25,000.
  • Your policy will provide coverage for bodily injury and lost wages for each accident of at least $50,000.
  • You’ll be covered for property damage coverage no less than $25,000.
  • You will also be covered if the other driver is not insured, $25,000 toward medical bills, lost wages for each person, and $50,000 for each accident.

The problem with minimum liability coverage for your car is that it can be totally inadequate if you are at fault in a serious car crash.

Unlike Massachusetts and New York, Connecticut is an at-fault state. Drivers are not required to carry Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage to cover their losses in an accident.

If you are at fault in a car crash in Connecticut, the other party can seek damages from you in court. The other driver can sue you for all their medical bills, all their lost wages, lost future income, damage to their car, pain, and suffering. That’s when you need an insurance company on your side.

Trahan Insurance Agency LLC, serving Griswold, CT, and surrounding cities, can help you find the right insurer with the right liability limits. Most Connecticut auto insurance customers need far more than the state minimum coverage to protect their assets from legal action.